College and Career Counseling
Staff and volunteers at each high school’s college and career counseling center help students chart a successful course beyond high school. Services include:
- Registration for college entrance exams
- Hundreds of publications and online resources for colleges and universities
- Assistance with the college application process and applying for financial aid
- College representative visits to the school
- Benton County Career Convention- for all high school juniors
College Entrance Exams
Most four-year colleges require scores for the ACT or SAT exams. Scores from these tests may be used for admission, scholarship, and/or placement in addition to student coursework, grades, activities, etc.
- PSAT (Preliminary Scholastic Assessment Test/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test) is offered once each year.
- SAT (Scholastic Assessment Test) is generally taken during the junior and/or senior year.
- ACT (American College Test) is generally taken during the junior and/or senior year.
SAT Subject Tests are required by some of the more competitive colleges. Check with your student’s school for test dates, locations, and more details.
Earn College Credit While Still in High School
When high school students enroll in College Now high school courses they have the opportunity to complete a high school and college course simultaneously and receive credit from both the high school and Linn-Benton Community College.
Classes are taught in multiple subject areas at the high school by educators that are also LBCC approved instructors. While most colleges accept LBCC transfer credit, transfer acceptability is at the discretion of the receiving institution.
Check with your student’s high school counselor for course availability. More information is available here.