What's Happening Now
- Over spring break Gerding performed a few tasks including swapping a couple of HVAC terminal units that were crossed up, adding some reinforcing in the roof structure at a couple duct penetrations and repairing piping connections at one unit heater.
- Final drywall repair will be complete the week of this board meeting.
- Gerding will install some roof curb blocking attachments and reflash a couple roof curbs on the roof the next opportunity we have for several days of nice weather.
- We made great progress on the solar installation at Cheldelin over the break. Final connections the power grid will follow in the coming month.
October, 2019: Design Advisory Committee to meet in November
The Cheldelin Design Advisory Committee will be formed this month and will have their first meeting on November 7, 2019.
Work on the track is complete.
Pivot Architecture continues regular meetings with the Site Team to work on the design and construction phasing.
Gerding Builders has completed the schematic design cost estimate. The anticipated cost of the work exceeds the original bond promise budget. Bond Leadership Team has authorized use of their bond reserve allotment to cover the difference.
The Design Advisory Committee will kick off this fall. Testing is taking place to gather more data on the condition of the existing building to better inform the requirements of planned seismic improvements.
August 15, 2019: Summer Work Continues
Work on the track resurfacing will be completed the week of September 9.
Pivot Architecture continues regular meetings with the Site Team to work on the design. Gerding Builders has completed the schematic design cost estimate. The anticipated cost of the work exceeds the original bond promise budget. Bond Leadership Team has authorized the use of their bond reserve allotment to cover the difference.
The design team will continue to work through the fall and winter with the Design Advisory Committee convening in the fall.
June, 2019: Track Resurfacing and Design Work Begins
Work on the track will begin as soon as school is out and be complete by mid-August.
Pivot Architecture has begun weekly meetings with the Site Team to begin design work. The structural engineer has begun their assessment to determine the scope of the planned seismic improvements. The hazardous material survey is nearly complete which will provide the scope of the required asbestos abatement.
May, 2019: Early design discussions underway
Facilitated by the PIVOT Architecture team and led by Principal Darren Bland, the school’s core team will begin regular meetings this month. The core team includes the principal, school and district facilities staff. The Cheldelin Design Advisory will be convened in the fall. The schedule for Cheldelin has changed and construction is now planned to begin in the summer of 2020.
April, 2019: Spring and summer projects
New bleachers were installed in the Cheldelin gym in April. The final planning is underway for the track resurfacing that will be completed this summer. The Cheldelin track and infield will be closed to the public from June 21 through August 30.
February, 2019: Initial project investigation
Initial project investigation work is in progress, including geotechnical soil borings, hazardous material surveys, and topographical surveys.
Next quarter, initial project investigation work will involve wetland surveys and seismic evaluations. Other activities scheduled for next quarter include bleacher installation scheduled for Spring Break 2019 and track resurfacing scheduled for summer 2019.
Bond Projects at Cheldelin
Safety & Security Improvements
- Improve emergency lighting
- Improve seismic safety – Phase 2, summer 2021
- Replace wooden bleachers in the gym – completed
Renovations & Repairs
- Improve ADA accessibility
- Install elevator to upper gym for ADA access
- Renovate cafeteria
- Replace kitchen flooring
- Resurface track – completed
- Upgrade mechanical infrastructure including electrical, heating, and plumbing systems – Phase 2, summer 2021
- Renovate restrooms
Modern Educational Spaces
- Renovate classroom to create a STEM lab
- Renovate library/media center – Phase 2, Summer 2021