If you become aware that an emergency situation has occurred at your child's school, please DO NOT call the school and DO NOT travel to the school. Emergency communications will be implemented as soon as information is available and parents/guardians will be provided information about the situation and where/when to pick up their student.
The safety of students is the primary consideration for any decision regarding snow routes, delayed start, school cancellation or district closure. The superintendent consults with district facilities and transportation staff and regional agencies to make informed decisions regarding risk factors.
Automated Call and Text Alerts (ParentSquare)
ParentSquare allows the District and your student’s school to do everything from sending out alerts by text and phone to sharing email messages with families.
- Parents/guardians will automatically be added to this communication system with the contact information provided at registration.
- Emergency alerts will always be sent by text or phone call.
- General announcements will also be sent via this system to your email address provided at registration. Emails may be viewed in your email inbox or in the ParentSquare app, once you have activated your account.
Want to Activate Your ParentSquare Account?
Newly enrolled parents/guardians will receive an invitation email or text to join ParentSquare from their school. Please click the link to activate your account. It takes less than a minute!
You can use ParentSquare on any device. You can use it from a computer at www.parentsquare.com or you have the option to download the free mobile app for Android or iOS on your phone.
You do not need to activate your ParentSquare account in order to receive district messages.
Who Receives Notifications
At the start of each school year, information from student registration forms is input into the student information database. ParentSquare receives updated information from this database once each day. Parents and guardians of current students are automatically opted-in to receive notifications.
- It is critical that parents/guardians keep their contact information current. Be sure to let your school office know if you have a new address or phone number.
- Legal guardians 1 and 2 in the student information system will receive a notification.
- Legal guardians have the option to customize their notification settings in ParentSquare, if their account is activated. Learn more about changing notification settings here.
Middle and high schools use ParentSquare to notify parents/guardians of their student’s unexcused absences and tardies. Typically, parents/guardians will receive a call by 11 am in the morning, and if still unexcused, will receive a second call at the end of the school day. For student safety reasons, at least one legal guardian must be opt-in to receive attendance messages.
How Emergency Messages are Sent
ParentSquare will send the same emergency message to guardians in three different ways to ensure you receive the information:
- In a pre-recorded voice phone call
- In an email containing a link to the recorded voice message. Email messages may also include a text version of the recorded message.
- In a text message containing a link to the recorded voice message, or a shortened text version of the recorded message.
This redundancy is important in case one or more methods of communication are out of service.
FlashAlert and Linn-Benton Alert
The FlashAlert Newswire is an emergency notification service available to all on the web, via email, and as a smartphone app.
- This service allows anyone to opt-in to receive school emergency or snow closure information for the Corvallis School District.
- Registration is free and subscribers may opt-in to receive information as an e-mail, cell phone text message, or notification through the app on your smartphone. An annual review of your subscription is recommended to verify updated contact information.
- To register, visit www.flashalert.net and click on the Willamette Valley region on the map, then click “Benton Co. Schools,” then “Corvallis Sch. Dist.”
Linn-Benton Alert is a two-county mass notification system that allows public safety officials to provide rapid notifications of emergencies, evacuations and other urgent events to Linn and Benton County residents.
- This service allows anyone to opt-in to receive alerts on your cell, home, and/or work phone; by e-mail, text messages, or TTY (hearing impaired devices).
- An annual review of your subscription is recommended to verify updated contact information.
Social Media, Radio, Print, and TV
- Media outlets are notified through the FlashAlert Newswire and media releases prepared by district staff.