Inclement Weather School Days for the 2020-21 School Year
This year we have the potential for school cancellation due to power outages. If there are power or network outages at three or more schools, school will be cancelled at all schools. In the event of snow, icy roads, or flooding, we plan to stay on schedule with Remote Learning zoom classes.
- Free meals at our current locations will be served. In the event of conditions that do not allow food services staff to report to work, families who have pre-ordered a free meal will receive an email notification if meals are cancelled.
- If school is in session but your student can’t access class due to a power outage in your neighborhood, please contact your child’s school.
- If school is cancelled, staff and families will be notified via a ParentSquare text message or auto-dial phone call.
- Possible make up days for weather/emergency closure are February 15, June 21 – 25, 2021.
How We Decide to Delay or Cancel School due to Inclement Weather
In the event of disruptions to transportation services (school delayed start or closing) due to weather, the school district will notify the public through the emergency notification system and local media. Specific bus routes affected would be specified in the announcements.
The safety of students is the primary consideration for any decision regarding snow routes, delayed start, school cancellation or district closure. The superintendent consults with district facilities and transportation staff and regional agencies to make informed decisions regarding risk factors.
- Safety considerations include student drivers, student access to bus stops, students walking to/from school and all other aspects of transportation of students to school.
- The suitability of our facilities for occupation is carefully considered as well as the condition of local infrastructure.
Families will be contacted if school is delayed or canceled through the contact information provided on registration forms. You may also opt-in to receive information through the FlashAlert notification system. Learn about our emergency and school closure communications HERE.
Parents and guardians are encouraged to make transportation and attendance decisions for their child(ren) based on their own assessment of travel conditions at their location. Should the superintendent decide to cancel school, the following weather make up days may be used for the 2020-21 school year (two weeks notice will be provided if a weather make up day will be used): February 15, and June 21-25.
The district will determine if school bus snow routes will be activated to accommodate the existing weather condition. These routes may be used for snow, ice, wind, flooding, or other conditions.
Snow Routes have not yet been developed for the 2020-21 school year. Once Hybrid students return to in-person learning, in the event of snow routes due to road conditions, an announcement will be shared via FlashAlert, the district web page, emergency hotline, and on social media.