April, 2022: All bond promises for this school were completed in 2022.
October, 2019: Land Use Application Submitted to City
The Land Use application has been submitted and is working its way through the City of Corvallis process. The date for the Planning Commission hearing has not yet been established.
The project team is working on the details of the construction phasing and a logistic plan. An updated project estimate was provided by Fortis Construction and did not change significantly from the previous estimate.
August, 2019: Design Development Completed
The design team completed the Design Development and has met with staff to continue to work on the detailed aspects of the design. A neighborhood meeting was held on August 6 as part of the City of Corvallis Land Use approval process. The meeting was well attended with strong support for the project and the improvements to traffic flow, safety, and circulation.
A fourth Design Advisory Committee meeting was held on August 22 for committee members to review and provide feedback on the evolving design.
July, 2019: Summer Design Work
The design team is working on design development over the summer so they will be ready to re-engage with staff this fall to continue to work on the more detailed aspects of the design. A very productive all day design review session was held the week before the summer break. The design team reviewed all aspects of the current design with school and facilities staff to receive input and answer questions so the design work could continue during July and August and proceed on schedule. The schematic design estimate for the bond promise scope exceeded the original Garfield budget. The Bond Leadership Team has authorized the use of bond reserve funds if needed, to complete the planned projects.
The Garfield Design Advisory Committee will meet on August 22 for meeting #4.
April, 2019: Design Advisory Committee Update
This project will expand Garfield from 46,000 square feet to 62,000 square feet including four additional classrooms, student support spaces, and an art and science classroom. In March, a preliminary site diagram concept was presented for feedback. The concept featured a number of site improvements:
- Additional classroom wing added on the north side of the school, adjacent to the current gymnasium
- Reconfigured and expanded front entrance and office area
- Reconfigured site circulation and an increase of parking spaces
The proposed siting of the new classroom wing is based on the design guidance principles that will be used throughout the bond program; specific to the Garfield site:
- a north facing classroom orientation provides better daylighting and efficiencies in heating/cooling
- efficient internal circulation and room adjacencies
- consolidation of outdoor learning and play areas and safety site lines
February, 2019: Design and communication
Communication protocol has been established between Wenaha and main office staff at Garfield. Additionally, design is underway.
Activities scheduled for next quarter involve two Design Advisory Committee meetings and a proposal from the geotechnical team.
January, 2019: Design Work Begins
The design phase for our school will begin in January 2019. Construction is scheduled to begin in September 2019. We will share regular updates and opportunities for input.
November 18, 2018: Garfield Design Advisory Committee
The Design Advisory Committee has been selected. Members include Justin Azhocar, Claudia Bouvier, Yazmin Brambila, Lupita Cobian, Nancy Davila-Williams, David Harner, Maria Hernandez, Elvira Huidor-Dever, Savannah Laney de Battro, Cathy Law, Perla Martinez, Daniel Olvera, Mara Silvera, Tammy Woodman, Maria Wright, Leigh Santy, and a representative from district.
This committee will ensure that the values of the school community are represented in the design and that the school community will be kept informed throughout the design and construction process.
November – December, 2018: Architect Review and Site Surveying
Pre-design work at Garfield is taking place including a site walk-through by the architect team. The site is also being surveyed as part of the pre-design process.
November 5, 2018: Design Advisory Committee
The Garfield Design Advisory Committee will be announced and meetings will get started in January 2019.
Bond Projects at Garfield
The original building was built in 1955, and the new building was completed in 2022.
Safety & Security Improvements
- Enhance emergency communication systems
- Improve playground lighting
- Improve seismic safety
- Improve site circulation and parking
- Replace sidewalks
- Secure front entry and office modifications
Garfield’s current capacity is 468. The projected new capacity is 531.
- Add six permanent classrooms
- Renovate four existing classrooms for student support services
- Remove three portable classrooms
Renovations & Repairs
- Add a covered play shelter
- Improve ADA accessibility
- Install energy efficient lighting
- Renovate restrooms
- Repair concrete floor foundation
- Upgrade finishes in hallways and shared spaces, including floors, paint, and ceilings
- Upgrade mechanical infrastructure, including electrical, heating, and plumbing systems
- Replace kitchen flooring
Hands-On Learning Modernization
- Create collaborative/small group learning areas
- Expand library/media center
- Relocate school garden for construction, if necessary
- Garfield Designs — July, 2019