What's Happening Now
- PIPC paperwork submitted. Completed PIPC punch list work over spring break. Request has been made for the City to review the work completed, to enable the warranty period to commence.
September, 2019: Design Process to Begin
Seismic work was completed before the start of the new school year. DLR Group, the project architect, is preparing to initiate the design processes of the next phase of work scheduled for the spring of 2021. The bond team is working on a plan for community and staff involvement.
August 15, 2019: Seismic Work Continues
Fortis is making great progress with construction activities and remains on track despite the unforeseen items that come with remodels. Some of the unforeseen items include equipment or ductwork in the way of new seismic braces or clips or heaters/HVAC that needed to be removed off an entire wall length rather than just a small section due to the original construction.
This project is still on schedule and within budget.
June, 2019: Seismic Upgrade Construction Begins
The school will be closed from June 21 through August 25 for seismic upgrade construction work. The office will temporarily be relocated. Summer hours will be announced.
February, 2019: Building walk-through and investigation
A building walk-through is in progress to observe existing conditions. An investigation of the existing building and surroundings is also underway. Seismic upgrade design work is in progress.
Hazardous material sampling and testing will occur next quarter.
December, 2018: Site walk-through completed
Site walk-through by the project team and structural engineers.
October 15, 2018: Seismic Design & Permitting
Bond program managers are currently working on design and permitting for seismic projects to be completed at the school this summer.
Summer 2019: Seismic upgrades completed
Winter 2020: School’s Design Advisory Committee begins series of meetings to provide input to architects and the project design team
Spring 2021: Construction begins
Summer 2022: Construction scheduled to be complete
Bond Projects at Letitia Carson
The school was built in 1962. Current capacity is 425.
Safety & Security Improvements
- Enhance emergency communication systems
- Improve emergency lighting
- Add three permanent classrooms
- Renovate existing classroom space for student support services
Renovations & Repairs
- Improve ADA accessibility
- Install energy efficient lighting
- Replace covered play shelter
- Upgrade mechanical infrastructure including electrical, heating, and plumbing systems
- Upgrade finishes in hallways and shared spaces including floors, paint, and ceilings
Modern Educational Spaces
- Create collaborative/small group learning areas
- Create dedicated PE space by adding multi-use cafeteria