On December 17, the Corvallis School District School Renaming Task Force met virtually for meeting #8. The task force appreciated all the student and public input that came and asked to extend the timeline by two additional meetings to have enough time to review all the information that came in over these past two weeks and time to discuss.
- Meetings will be held on January 5 and 12. The task force will finalize a recommendation to the Superintendent at their final meeting on January 12.
- The list of names in consideration is available HERE.
- Public input is available for review on the Task Force meeting page.
To allow the task force to proceed towards a recommendation, any additional public comments will be provided as an addendum to the recommendation to Superintendent Ryan Noss.
Specific Criteria for School Names
The task force members are required to provide recommendations of names for the three schools (Husky, Jaguar, Wildcat Elementary Schools) that meet specific criteria:
- The social justice implications of the history, work, and representation of any figure for whom a school is named should be fully explored and understood. Additional weight in recommendation should be given to figures who valued and worked for social justice in their lives. Those that intentionally perpetuated white dominance (i.e. slaveholders, racist and /or anti-Indigenous views, etc.) will not be considered.
- Women who have made inspirational contributions during their lives should be given additional weight in recommendations to remedy the lack of representation among current school names.
- At least one school in Corvallis should have a name that honors the local Indigenous people chosen in consultation with the two local Tribes.
- At least one school in Corvallis should have a name that honors the community’s connection to place.
- View the Corvallis School Board Resolution 20-0801
Meetings are held virtually and are not open to the public but meeting notes and presentation materials are available to the public on the district website.