School Renaming Information
School Renaming Overview
About the School Renaming Process
The Corvallis School Board passed a resolution regarding renaming our schools on August 6, 2020, by a 6-1 vote. In addition to public comment at the meeting, the school board received hundreds of community comments via email and phone. The Board also deliberated on the resolution during two of its meetings and received public comments on this topic during the August 6 meeting.
- School board member Vincent Adams presented a resolution to the Corvallis School Board at the July 30, 2020 meeting to remove the names of Jefferson, Hoover, and Wilson Elementary Schools effective immediately.
- A report explaining the motivation behind the resolution can be accessed at the following link: Background Statement from Director Vincent Adams
- At their August 6 meeting, the Board approved the resolution in an amended form which you can review at the following link: Resolution 20-0801 that called for the immediate removal of the names of Hoover, Jefferson, and Wilson elementary schools.
Temporary names for the schools have been selected for the interim. Those names are Husky Elementary, Jaguar Elementary, and Wildcat Elementary.
Following the board resolution, the signage on the three schools was removed. During this transition period, families at these schools will continue to see the old names as part of the registration process and on some printed materials.
The School Renaming Task Force is charged to develop a recommendation for renaming the three schools and reviewing all school names with the potential to rename. The new names for the three schools are to be finalized by mid-spring.
Task Force Meetings
Task Force Members
The following individuals were appointed by Superintendent Ryan Noss: Eliza Barstow, Hannah Briggs, Chris Bueford, Michael Duncan, Sherri Gates, Ruby Hoffman, Ginger McQueen, Melissa Miller, Jamie Sarabia, Sravya Tadepalli, James Thomas, Jason Thomas, Zeke Thomas, and Yan Wang.
Non-voting members of the task force included school board liaison Director Luhui Whitebear and building administrators from Husky, Jaguar, and Wildcat elementary schools Anna Marie Gosser, Beth Martin, and Eric Beasley. This was an advisory committee to the superintendent.
Meeting Dates and Notes
All meetings will be virtual from 6:30 – 8:00 pm. Notes will be published as soon as possible following the meeting date.
Tuesday, October 13, 2020
Tuesday, October 20, 2020
Tuesday, October 27, 2020
Tuesday, November 10, 2020
- Meeting Notes
- Presentation Slides
- Board Policy JBB – Educational Equity
- Board Policy FF – Naming or Renaming of Facilities
- Administrative Regulation FF-AR – Naming or Renaming of Facilities
- List of CSD Schools and Buildings
- Community Input- Name Recommendations
Tuesday, November 17, 2020
Tuesday, December 1, 2020
Tuesday, December 8, 2020
Tuesday, December 15, 2020
Tuesday, January 5, 2021
Tuesday, January 12, 2021