School Renaming Information
School Renaming Task Force
About the School Renaming Process
The Corvallis School Board passed a resolution regarding renaming our schools on August 6, 2020, by a 6-1 vote. In addition to public comment at the meeting, the school board received hundreds of community comments via email and phone. The Board also deliberated on the resolution during two of its meetings and received public comments on this topic during the August 6 meeting.
- School board member Vincent Adams presented a resolution to the Corvallis School Board at the July 30, 2020 meeting to remove the names of Jefferson, Hoover, and Wilson Elementary Schools effective immediately.
- A report explaining the motivation behind the resolution can be accessed at the following link: Background Statement from Director Vincent Adams
- At their August 6 meeting, the Board approved the resolution in an amended form which you can review at the following link: Resolution 20-0801 that called for the immediate removal of the names of Hoover, Jefferson, and Wilson elementary schools.
Temporary names for the schools have been selected for the interim. Those names are Husky Elementary, Jaguar Elementary, and Wildcat Elementary.
Following the board resolution, the signage on the three schools was removed. During this transition period, families at these schools will continue to see the old names as part of the registration process and on some printed materials.
The School Renaming Task Force is charged to develop a recommendation for renaming the three schools and reviewing all school names with the potential to rename. The new names for the three schools are to be finalized by mid-spring.
Task Force Meetings
Meeting Dates and Notes
All meetings will be virtual from 6:30 – 8:00 pm. Notes will be published as soon as possible following the meeting date.
Tuesday, October 13, 2020
Tuesday, October 20, 2020
Tuesday, October 27, 2020
Tuesday, November 10, 2020
- Meeting Notes
- Presentation Slides
- Board Policy JBB – Educational Equity
- Board Policy FF – Naming or Renaming of Facilities
- Administrative Regulation FF-AR – Naming or Renaming of Facilities
- List of CSD Schools and Buildings
- Community Input- Name Recommendations
Tuesday, November 17, 2020
Tuesday, December 1, 2020
Tuesday, December 8, 2020
Task Force Application
The task force will be composed of up to fifteen members including students, community members and staff. The task force will meet approximately six times between October 2020 and January 2021. Students, staff, and community members are invited to apply. All applicants will be notified once the selection process is complete. The application closed on September 21, 2020.