Our vision: We are committed to equitable access to an inclusive and rigorous learning experience and outcome that honors each student’s race, culture, socioeconomic status, language, ability, gender, gender expression, and sexual orientation, resulting in engaged citizens and leaders of the future.
Our Core Beliefs
- We must actively work to address inequities that persist in our educational system, including fostering inclusive and equitable access.
- Everyone brings intrinsic value and benefits when individuals are acknowledged, understood, and treated respectfully and equitably.
- Better decisions emerge when diverse perspectives are intentionally included in a collaborative process.
- Trust is essential to strengthening relationships and to achieving our mission.
Message from the Superintendent
The goal of the Corvallis School District is for every student to grow and, ultimately, to graduate; it is the responsibility of the district to give each student the opportunity and support to meet this goal. We are working to provide a safe and inclusive learning environment for all students and we believe that students are better prepared for learning the skills needed to be successful for their future when we establish clear guidelines that are predictable and consistent.
In support of that work, on December 5, 2016, the Corvallis School Board unanimously approved Resolution Number 16-1201 – Rights of Undocumented Students and Protocols for Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) Access to Schools. The school board reaffirmed the resolution on September 28, 2017.
Since the original resolution our district has:
- Developed a plan for training teachers, administrators, and other staff on how to respond to ICE personnel who may attempt to enter Corvallis School District property and/or request information about our students and their families.
- Implemented procedures, subject to applicable laws, for notifying families about generalized ICE efforts to gain information about students and families, and how to protect and support students whose family members have been displaced because of ICE.
- Shared information with all Corvallis School District families about the resolution, protocols and the training provided to our staff.
A safe and welcoming school community
All Corvallis School District staff will receive training and information about Board Resolution 16-1201. It is our goal to provide a safe and supportive learning environment for each student in the Corvallis School District.
Our Guiding Principles
The four pillars of our equity work include keeping students at the center, equity-based leadership, equity-driven practices, and family engagement and empowerment.
- We will align strategic priorities, resources, and staffing allocations to achieve equitable outcomes.
- We will leverage and support the leadership talents of our staff and the assets of our system to achieve our vision.
- We will implement culturally relevant teaching and learning practices to provide an inclusive and rigorous learning environment for all students.
- We will engage families and community as partners to inform our work towards achieving our mission and core beliefs.