Student transfers may be requested for the 2017-18 school year during the transfer request window from March 1 through 31, 2017. We may make placement decisions when warranted by special circumstances during the school year. These transfers are initiated by school administrators and the assistant superintendent and may take place at any time.
Transfer Application Timeline for the 2017-18 School Year
Transfer Window Opens March 1, 2017
Grades K-12 in-district and inter-district student transfer requests for enrollment in Corvallis schools are made through the district’s online transfer application process during the month of March.
Families may choose just one school for their transfer request. If the number of students seeking transfers exceeds the number of spaces available, an equitable lottery process will be used and school waiting lists created. Parents will be notified regarding offers of enrollment or placement on established wait lists by the end of April unless an extension is needed.
Parents of kindergartners requesting transfers are required to register at their neighborhood schools by March 31.
March 1-31, 2017 (Limited Openings for the 2017-18 School Year)
Online Transfer Request submitted by parent or guardian. (Interdistrict Transfers also require release form from current school district.)
Most of our elementary schools are at capacity and we do not anticipate any opening at Adams, Hoover, Jefferson, or Wilson, except for siblings, if space is available. Garfield and Lincoln are open for transfers at kindergarten and 1st grade, if space is available. Since these two schools are dual immersion, students must qualify for grades 2-5. Franklin and Mt. View are open for transfers.
Linus Pauling Middle School is closed to transfers, except for siblings. Corvallis High School has limited openings for in-district only. Cheldelin Middle School and Crescent Valley are open for transfers.
April and May 2017
Parents will be notified with offers of enrollment or placement on wait lists. Parents are expected to enroll students at their neighborhood boundary schools until a transfer request is approved. Once approved, a transfer ordinarily will remain in effect until the student completes the highest grade at that school (grades 5, 8, 12.)
Transferring out of the Corvallis School District
The Oregon Department of Education (ODE) requires that school district’s receive a release approval from the resident school district before accepting an incoming student transfer. Parents wishing to transfer their student to another school district must complete an Inter-District Transfer Out Form. Contact Cindy Dagesse, 541-766-4704 for assistance.
Transferring in to the Corvallis School District
Interdistrict student transfers may be requested through the online process. In addition, an interdistrict transfer form (available from your resident district) must be completed, submitted, and approved at your resident school district in order to be released to attend a school in our district.
Families relocating to Corvallis may also apply using the online transfer process. Be sure to list your current home address and note the anticipated date of your move to Corvallis.
Student Transfer Overview
Families have a variety of reasons for requesting a school transfer and in some cases, we may initiate a transfer to place students with specific educational needs at a school outside their neighborhood boundary school.
Mid-year transfers are discouraged but in some cases may be granted. Parents may request a school transfer during the annual transfer window. In most cases, unless specifically addressed in our policies, transportation to school outside your boundary neighborhood is the responsibility of the family.
- The student transfer window is March 1 -31 each year. If the number of students seeking a transfer exceeds the number of spaces available, an equitable lottery is used and a wait list is created. (Note: Requests submitted in early March do not receive priority status.)
- Parents are expected to enroll their student at their neighborhood boundary school until the transfer request is approved.
- Families may choose just one school for their transfer request.
- Schools with limited openings due to capacity enrollment currently include Hoover, Jefferson, and Adams Elementary.
- Transfer requests during the school year are reviewed on a case by case basis. Requests should be made at least ten days before the end of the grading period/semester.
- Parents of entering kindergarten students living within the Corvallis School District boundaries must first register at their neighborhood school by March 31 before requesting a transfer to a different school.
- Transfer students must meet OSAA Transfer Rules in order to paricipate in OSAA athletics and activities .
An interactive school boundary map is available to help families determine school boundaries for all elementary, middle and high schools. This service is provided by the Oregon Department of Human Services and the Oregon Health Authority. This tool allows you to enter your home address in the search box (located in the upper right side of the web page.) If you have questions about school boundaries, please call 541-757-5811.