What's Happening Now
September 2019: Design Process to Begin
Seismic work was completed before the start of the new school year. DLR Group, the project architect, is preparing to initiate the design processes of the next phase of work still scheduled for the spring of 2021. The bond team is working on a plan for community and staff involvement.
August 15, 2019: Seismic Work Continues
Fortis is making great progress with construction activities and remains on track
despite the unforeseen items that come with remodels. Some of the unforeseen items include equipment or ductwork in the way of new seismic braces or clips or heaters/HVAC that needed to be removed off an entire wall length rather than just a small section due to the original construction.
The school office is temporarily relocated to the district central office until late August. This project is still on schedule and within budget.
June 2019: Seismic Upgrade Construction Begins
Adams will be closed from June 21 through August 25 for seismic upgrade construction work. The office will temporarily be located at the district administration building. Summer hours will be announced.
February, 2019: Site tours and finalizing investigation process
Site tours by the design team are in progress. Additionally, Wenaha Group is finalizing the design engineer’s investigation process with documentation and on-site exploration. Hazardous material sampling and testing has been completed and results are being processed. Seismic upgrade design work is also in progress.
Activities scheduled for next quarter include an investigation regarding possible underground fuel oil tank and continued pre-design.
December 2018: Site walk-throughs completed
Site walk-through by the project team and structural engineers.
October 15, 2018: Seismic Design & Permitting
Bond program managers are currently working on design and permitting for seismic projects to be completed at Adams Elementary this summer.
The Adams Design Advisory Committee will be formed in January 2020. Applications are still being accepted.
Bond Projects at Adams
Adams Elementary was built in 1962. Current enrollment is 443, with capacity at 489.
Safety & Security Improvements
- Improve seismic safety
- Replace emergency communication systems
- Secure front entry and office modifications
- Improve emergency lighting
- Add five permanent classrooms
- Remove three portable classrooms
Renovations & Repairs
- Upgrade mechanical infrastructure including electrical, heating, and plumbing systems
- Upgrade finishes in hallways and shared spaces including floors, paint, and ceilings
- Improve ADA accessibility and install energy efficient lighting
- Replace covered play shelter and relocate school garden
Modern Educational Spaces
- Renovate two existing classrooms to create collaborative/small group learning areas
- Create dedicated PE space by adding multi-use cafeteria
- Dedicate one existing classroom for student support services