What's Happening Now
September 2019: Design Process to Begin
Seismic work was completed before the start of the new school year. DLR Group, the project architect, is preparing to initiate the design processes of the next phase of work still scheduled for the spring of 2021. The bond team is working on a plan for community and staff involvement.
August 15, 2019
Fortis is making great progress with construction activities and remains on track
despite the unforeseen items that come with remodels. Some of the unforeseen items include equipment or ductwork in the way of new seismic braces or clips or heaters/HVAC that needed to be removed off an entire wall length rather than just a small section due to the original construction.
This project is still on schedule and within budget.
June 2019: Seismic Upgrade Construction Begins
Jefferson will be closed from June 21 through August 25 for seismic upgrade construction work. The office will temporarily be relocated to a modular classroom. Summer hours will be announced.
February, 2019: Site tours and finalizing investigation process
Site tours by the design team are in progress. Additionally, we are finalizing the design engineer’s investigation process with documentation. Seismic upgrade design work is also in progress.
Activities scheduled for next quarter include hazardous material sampling and testing and continued pre-design.
December 2018: Site walk-throughs completed
Site walk-through by the project team and structural engineers.
October 15, 2018: Seismic Design & Permitting
Bond program managers are currently working on design and permitting for seismic projects to be completed at Jefferson Elementary this summer.
Bond Projects at Jefferson
Jefferson Elementary was built in 1960. Jefferson’s current enrollment is 351, with a current capacity of 383.
Safety & Security Improvements
- Improve seismic safety
- Replace emergency communication systems
- Secure front entry and office modifications
- Improve emergency lighting
- Improve sidewalk & site circulation
- Add three permanent classrooms, remove portable classrooms
- Renovate classrooms for student support services
- Upgrade mechanical infrastructure
- Upgrade finishes in hallways and shared spaces including floors, paint, and ceilings
- Improve ADA accessibility
- Install energy efficient lighting
- Replace covered play shelter
Modern Educational Spaces
- Create collaborative/small group learning areas
- Create dedicated PE space by adding multi-use cafeteria