What's Happening Now
- Excavation of footings for new additions to start this week. Delayed due to weather and staffing issues over holiday break. Once completed, underground work will commence followed by slab on grade.
- Fortis continuing with Admin remodel to push for turnover before spring break.
- Fortis doing framing and drywall within the Music and Library/Testing Lab areas inside existing school. Finishes within the corridors will continue.
- Fortis completing tile work in restrooms and then plumbing finishes for turnover as soon as possible.
September, 2019: Design Process to Begin
Seismic work was completed before the start of the new school year. DLR Group, the project architect, is preparing to initiate the design processes of the next phase of work still scheduled for the spring of 2021. The bond team is working on a plan for community and staff involvement.
August 15, 2019
Fortis is making great progress with construction activities and remains on track despite the unforeseen items that come with remodels. Some of the unforeseen items include equipment or ductwork in the way of new seismic braces or clips or heaters/HVAC that needed to be removed off an entire wall length rather than just a small section due to the original construction.
This project is still on schedule and within budget.
June, 2019: Seismic Upgrade Construction Begins
The school will be closed from June 21 through August 25 for seismic upgrade construction work. The office will temporarily be relocated to a modular classroom. Summer hours will be announced.
February, 2019: Site tours and finalizing investigation process
Site tours by the design team are in progress. Additionally, we are finalizing the design engineer’s investigation process with documentation. Seismic upgrade design work is also in progress.
Activities scheduled for next quarter include hazardous material sampling and testing and continued pre-design.
December, 2018: Site walk-throughs completed
Site walk-through by the project team and structural engineers.
October 15, 2018: Seismic Design & Permitting
Bond program managers are currently working on design and permitting for seismic projects to be completed at the school this summer.
Summer 2019: Seismic upgrades completed
Winter 2020: School’s Design Advisory Committee begins series of meetings to provide input to architects and the project design team
Spring 2021: Construction begins
Summer 2022: Construction scheduled to be complete
Bond Projects at Kathryn Jones Harrison
The school was built in 1960. The pre-improvement capacity is 383 students.
Safety & Security Improvements
- Improve seismic safety
- Replace emergency communication systems
- Secure front entry and office modifications
- Improve emergency lighting
- Improve sidewalk & site circulation
- Add four permanent classrooms, remove portable classrooms
- Renovate classrooms for student support services
- Upgrade mechanical infrastructure
- Upgrade finishes in hallways and shared spaces including floors, paint, and ceilings
- Improve ADA accessibility
- Install energy efficient lighting
- Replace covered play shelter
Modern Educational Spaces
- Create collaborative/small group learning areas
- Create dedicated PE space by adding multi-use cafeteria