What's Happening Now
July 2019: Summer Design Work
Design Development is in process. Focus groups with teachers, administrators and specialists took place in June to inform the design team’s summer work. This input was used as designs were developed and will be reported back to the Focus Groups after the summer break. The Hoover site plan is fairly solid and we’re developing for Planning Department submission. The driveway will align with Aspen Street.
The Hoover Design Advisory Committee will have meeting #4 on August 21.
May 2019: Design Advisory Committee Meeting #3
The Hoover DAC met for the third time on May 1, 2019. An update on the design process is as follows:
- The new building will include three classrooms for each grade level, larger classrooms for preschool and kindergarten, 1st grade, music room, collaboration and support spaces, and an art and science classroom.
- The original idea was to use a prototype design for both Hoover and Lincoln for cost efficiencies. The district has decided that buildings won’t be identical but there will be some similarities between schools and there will be design aspects that are different depending on the needs of the school. (Overall similar feel to the building.)
- Two possible site strategies were reviewed with a focus on the parking entry driveway. Option 1 shows alignment with Aspen. Option 2 shows a 150’ offset east of Aspen. There are currently 37 parking spaces, the site plans include approximately 60 parking spots and a drive through loading zone for buses and student drop-off. Volume of traffic during pick up and drop off continues to be a topic of discussion. A traffic study is being conducted. View the site concepts HERE.
- Field space and playground areas are a priority. A location for the school butterfly garden or shade garden is a priority.
February, 2019: Design process
A civil engineer has toured the site. Design is in progress and first Core Team meetings are underway.
Activities scheduled for next quarter include City of Corvallis land use and permitting meetings, as well as site observation for wetlands on the site.
January, 2019: Hoover Design Advisory Committee
The design advisory committee will begin meeting in January. Committee members include Michael Baker, Peter Banwarth, Svetlana Dascaliuc, Brian Haley, Marcy Hermens, Victor Hsu, Cara Miller, Melissa Miller, Kari Morrow, Stephanie Raleigh, Amy Sampson, Yan Wang, principal Anna Marie Gosser, and a representative from district staff.
This committee will ensure that the values of the school community are represented in the design process.
November & December: Architect Review and Site Surveying
Pre-design work at Hoover is taking place including a site walk-through by the architect team. The site is also being surveyed as part of the pre-design process.
November 5, 2018: Design Advisory Committees
Site-based committees for Hoover Elementary will be announced and meetings with the architects will begin soon after. These committees will serve as advisors to the design professionals and will continue at least through the life of the project at Hoover.
Bond Projects at Hoover
Hoover Elementary was built in 1968. Hoover’s current enrollment is 391, with its capacity at 404.
Replace School on Current Property
- Construct on the east side of the current property
- Students will continue to attend Hoover Elementary during construction
Safety & Security Improvements
- New emergency communications system
- Built to current seismic safety codes
- Well-designed parking and site circulation
- Sustainable design
- Maximize daylighting
- Install energy efficient building systems
Modern Educational Spaces
- Learning spaces for small group, collaboration, and project based learning
- Outdoor learning including school garden and outdoor play areas
- Separate multi-purpose dining commons and gymnasium
Coming in Summer 2020!