The Corvallis School Board also has Board and Superintendent Working Agreements, which provide guidance regarding meeting operations and communication.
Focused Use of Meeting Time
- Start on time, use time wisely, and end on time.
- Allow all members time to express themselves without feeling rushed by:
- Utilizing the phrase, “I agree with_____” to avoid repetition of the same ideas and points.
- Balance Board members’ speaking time.
- Be succinct to maintain opportunity for all to express themselves.
- Engage in relevant and topical discussion.
- Utilize “Committee/Board Member Items” monthly agenda time to provide updates to the full board regarding the work of District committees.
- Allow moments of silence between commentaries to provide time to consider the discussion.
- Effectively employ parliamentary procedure to facilitate a smooth meeting.
- Regulate input and comments from the public to the time allotted for public testimony to maintain equal opportunity to speak.
Consider Staff and District Capacity and Resources
- Be cognizant of scarcity of resources and time when requesting action from staff.
- Assess whether a majority of the Board can benefit from particular information from staff before making the request for it.
Respectful Deliberation and Conversation
- Actively listen to those sharing their points of view, to facilitate full understanding and the possibility of changing viewpoints.
- Vocalize what another individual’s statement has helped you learn or reconsider.
- Facilitate focused, open conversation.
- Strive to value all opinions.Refrain from deriding others’ ideas.